Monday, May 4, 2015

Kisses From Katie - Final Thoughts

 Kisses From Katie - Final Thoughts

So I finally finished reading Kisses From Katie!!!

And you need to read it. It was one of the most inspiring stories I've ever heard. I almost want to move to Africa. Almost.

Anyway, I'm just going to share with you the biggest thing I took away from this book.

Let God lead your life.

I struggle with this on a day to day basis. I want control over my life. But, the truth of the matter is, this is not my life. I did nothing to earn it. God created me and he gave me everything that I have. So where in the world did I get this crazy notion that my life is mine? Katie struggled through a lot of the same thing as she wrote in her book. And obviously God's plan for her life was pretty drastic. Moving to Uganda and adopting 13 girls on her own. But that doesn't mean that He can't lead my life in a simpler way. I do not feel called to move to Africa. And I really don't think that will ever change unless God does some pretty miraculous things. However, even though I can't move to Africa doesn't mean I just say to God, "Ok, you can't use me so I'm just going to do what I want to do". No. It means I follow Him here. I follow Him in the life I have going for me now. Because, everything I do needs to be for His glory. No matter how small.

This is one of my favorite parts of the book.

"I would like to be able to say that I always do exactly what the Lord asks of me. I would like to say that I always seek Him first when a difficult situation presents itself. While I am getting better at it, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I still think what I do with my life should be my decision. God asks, and reasons, and encourages. He gently explains that I do not know what is best for me and that I do not always get what I want. And I just look at Him, not understanding at all what He's trying to say. Sometimes, I even whine and sob and shriek, just like a tired, angry three-year-old. So God picks me up, exhausted from struggling, and plops me in the center of His will for my life. And then a funny thing happens. As I kick and scream and struggle, I remember: I like being in the center of God's will for my life. God's plan is usually pretty great. It is a whole lot better than mine anyway. I am so glad that He does not allow me to win."
Wow.

Anyway, I also learned something else.

I learned that so much of what I am spending my life thinking about does matter in the long run.

Do you think Katie's girls are worried about finding out what they want to do so they can take the most AP classes and get the highest test score and get into the best college? Do you think they worry about making sure everyone at the event they're planning gets something to take home? Do you think they worry about finding a new dress to wear to a wedding, or finding a new pair of shoes just because you want some? Everything that I may even think is good is so miniscule compared to them.

Not saying they live in a slump and never get anything. Not saying they live all alone. Just saying their priorities are different. And mine should be too.

I read Katie's blog after I finished the book and saw that she got married in January. Her life is a little different than what she first imagined, but in the end she got the same result. A husband, a job she loves, and beautiful children. The picture is just a little more colorful.


No comments:

Post a Comment