Sunday, January 25, 2015

Kisses from Katie - First Thoughts

Kisses from Katie - First Thoughts

So I have recently begun to read my first non-fiction type book to blog about. It's called Kisses from Katie and is written by Katie Davis about her own life. Here is a short synopsis from goodreads:
 
Katie Davis left over Christmas break her senior year for a short mission trip to Uganda and her life was turned completely inside out. She found herself so moved, so broken by the people and the children of Uganda that she knew her calling was to return and care for them. Her story is like Mother Teresa’s in that she has given up everything—at such a young age—to care for the less fortunate of this world. Katie, a charismatic and articulate young woman, has gone on to adopt 14 children during her time in Uganda, and she completely trusts God for daily provision for her and her family, which includes children with special needs.

 
Katie's New Family:
 


This book is heartbreaking. That's all I'm really going to say about it so far. When and if you ever pick it up do not expect to be able to sit down and read through it quickly. Especially at the beginning. Reading about this life she lives in Uganda, about her daily struggles, makes my life seem so so so easy. Almost pointless. But as much as I'm saddened by the condition of living in Uganda, hearing her own personal struggle with this new life she chose is even harder. She says at one part in the book,
"No matter how many contradictions I struggled with, how difficult certain situations were , no matter how lonely I got, no matter how many tears I cried, one truth remained firmly grounded in my heart... I wanted to be right here in Uganda."
A couple nights ago I was in the car with my mom and my 11 year old sister explaining the story to my sister (my mom has already read the book). I told her how Katie had her whole life planned out ahead of her. Graduate, go to college, get a job, get married, and start a family; until she turned it all around her senior year and moved to Uganda. My sister looked at me straight in the face and told me "That sounds like you, planning your whole life out. Maybe you'll move to Uganda." I laughed. As I read Katie's story I'm realizing I cannot do what she has done and is still doing. And for more reasons than just my paranormal fear of sleeping with cockroaches. I know her story won't push me to move to Africa, but it is showing me what matters in the life I am living. And it's reminding me of what I can do in my own city, in my own home, to make an impact.

Here is a link to Katie's blog : http://katiedavis.amazima.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment